Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Salon runs from North to South This Week

Well, the Copper River in Alaska is running strong, and I've been lucky enough to fall into a bit of its wild salmon recently. Truly one of the North's spring treats. Makes me wish I was a bear. Tasted raw, the flavor made me think of spring peas, so fresh and almost green; a small little chunk, grilled hot and quickly so that it remains nice and rare was absolutely perfect with some grilled asparagus--a true spring/summer/whatever this season is dish. The cleanest and purest of flavors. Just look at the definition of colors, textures and flavors in the fatty piece taken from the belly in the photo above.

I took a good chunk from the mid-section of the fillet and put it into a simple cure of salt, brown sugar, fennel seeds and lemon zest; that may make an appearance at Thursday and Friday's Salon; sliced nice and thin, this gravlax would last for a few weeks, though I doubt it will make it past Friday.

In other news, looking for inspiration for Sunday's Southern Staples Salon (and overlooking my sorrow of missing a crew of Southern friends' Memorial Day Feast yesterday), I need not look further than my memories of places like Carver's and the now closed Son's Place in Atlanta: Fried Chicken, Collard Greens, Black Eyed Peas, Mac and Cheese, Peach Cobbler, Okra, Hoe Cakes and Sweet Tea...the challenge here will be paring this down into something reasonable for the folks on Sunday! Looking forward to it!