Thursday, April 21, 2011

Homemade Bagels, Leftovers and a Devil-May-Care Attitude Towards Grammar

Last night's Salon--despite the frigid weather--was a success (so happy was I to hear, repeatedly, "that smells/tastes like summer!), and beyond my being comforted that my oft-used dash-dash is the new semicolon by a bunch of English-y types, we made some really great food (carnitas, al pastor, carne asada, rajas de poblano, queso fresco, lard & jalapeno-refried beans, homemade tortillas, roasted tomatillo salsa, simmered ancho/guajillo salsa, guacamole) which I will report on shortly. Meanwhile, I'm off to ponder the great meal last night and the upcoming F.o.t.D. Brunch Salon the Sunday after Easter in this chilly but sunny weather, fueled by the beautiful bagels above (yes, two lovely Saloneers brought me bagels, still warm, that they had made!), one spread with blueberry jam my Tennessee ham connection's mother in law made, one spread with queso fresco and carnitas from last night. I used to think it was sweet to have connections in the restaurant world; now I realize it's vastly better to have connections in the homemade world.